Aviation generates more than 900 million metric tonnes of carbon emissions each year. It is a big and growing contributor to human induced climate change.
Infrequent Flyers is supporting artists and arts companies to take climate action by reducing the number of flights we take in creating art and delivering our work. Turning the rewards system on its head, Infrequent Flyers generates points each time a member chooses to not fly. A carbon calculator uses your non-flight miles to work out the CO2 emissions saved.
Arts Front will provide Infrequent Flyers with supported access to cutting edge online meeting, collaboration and video conferencing tools to use in lieu of flying.
Infrequent Flyers are encouraged to use the Arts Front webapp to share reports on their successful actions with others and invite others to join. Members will receive regular updates as well as access to larger system generated reports that will go to the Federal government and the UN.
Sustainable Development Goal 13 - Targets
- Strengthen resilience and adaptive capacity to climate-related hazards and natural disasters in all countries
- Integrate climate change measures into national policies, strategies and planning
- Improve education, awareness-raising and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction and early warning
- Implement the commitment undertaken by developed-country parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change to a goal of mobilizing jointly $100 billion annually by 2020 from all sources to address the needs of developing countries in the context of meaningful mitigation actions and transparency on implementation and fully operationalize the Green Climate Fund through its capitalization as soon as possible
- Promote mechanisms for raising capacity for effective climate change-related planning and management in least developed countries and small island developing States, including focusing on women, youth and local and marginalized communities
Action Administrators (2)
So far the total carbon saved is 28,100 kg. A great effort!
ReportWashington to New York
(2 people, return)March 20201,722 kg Carbon SavedI was able to do my Washington meetings using zoom this weekDee Davis6th Mar, 2020
ReportMelbourne to Adelaide
(2 people, return)April 2020300 kg Carbon SavedSkipped trip to Adelaide Fringe Festival.bhu Boue vidya2nd Mar, 2020
ReportBrisbane to Sydney
(4 people, return)March 2020674 kg Carbon Savedwe decided to use the Arts Front platform instead of flying to Sydney for our meetingFeralArts16th Feb, 2020
ReportBrisbane to Chicago
(1 person, return)February 20203,302 kg Carbon SavedFor the 108th Annual College Art Association conference, the World Forum for Acoustic Ecology assemble as esteemed group of creative artists and designers in a panel session titled, AdvancesLeah Barclay11th Feb, 2020
ReportPerth to Darwin
(4 people, return)March 20202,440 kg Carbon SavedDarwin meetingFeralArts11th Feb, 2020
ReportBrisbane to New York
(2 people, return)July 20207,127 kg Carbon SavedBig art exhibition at MOMA, new Yorkbhu Boue vidya8th Feb, 2020
Reportbrisbane to sydney
(3 people, return)March 2020505 kg Carbon SavedconferenceFeralArts7th Feb, 2020
ReportLondon to Brisbane
(3 people, return)May 201911,398 kg Carbon SavedBig conference about the arts.bhu Boue vidya7th Feb, 2020